The Wages of Fallacy

It’s been awhile since I last spouted off about political philosophy, but something recently reminded me and I remembered a Radical Moderate topic I wanted to bring up some time: the evils of fallacies. A quick recap of my Radical Moderate philosophy revolving around what I call The Syllogism:

1. I am a rational/good human being.
  2. Because I am a rational/good human being, I believe X.
  3. If you do not believe X, you are either ignorant, stupid, or evil.
  4. Because you are ignorant, stupid, or evil, it is useless to debate with you and pointless to listen to you.

One of the easiest ways to prove #3 against someone is to hit them with an Appeal to Motive Fallacy.

The arguer using it challenges a thesis (in the above example the stated goals of the Pro-Life Movement) by calling into question the motives of its advocates, often with imputations of hypocrisy. It’s a special case of the Ad Hominem Circumstantial Argument, and is sometimes buttressed by the argument, “If they REALLY believed [ X ], then they would [ Y ].” Y is often the “correct” measure or action the arguer herself is in favor of.

To transpose another hot-button issue onto the above argument as a counter-example:

“Anti-gun people aren’t trying to end gun violence, they’re trying to legislate who can and can’t own and carry guns [MOTIVE]. Because liberal politicians and their families will always be able to pay for protection by people with guns [HYPOCRISY].”

“All anti-gun rhetoric does is keep poor people from being able to protect themselves from gun violence. That’s the goal [MOTIVE AGAIN], and if it wasn’t the goal they would spend their time and money on increased police presence in poor neighborhoods and an expanded prison system to keep society safe from violence.” [ARGUER-APPROVED MEASURE].

This is not the place to debate either abortion or gun-control (anybody debating either in the comments will be cordially deleted). My point is to show that this is an easy fallacy to fall into.

The charge of hypocrisy isn’t readily dismissed (political leaders and their wealthier backers can engage in “abortion tourism” and can hire bodyguards), but doesn’t automatically invalidate an argument or position. After all, a hypocrite might actually be pushing a good position. But in any case, my rule of thumb is to only allow a hypocrisy charge to stand if the person being specifically accused has shown their hypocrisy by their specific actions.

With or without charges of hypocrisy, the core of the fallacy is in the assigned motivating goal. That goal doesn’t have to be ridiculous, as both Lindy West’s and my counter-example is, but it does need to be plausible to The Believer. Its point is to allow the believer to comfortably live inside The Syllogism. But bonus points if it’s plausible to the neutral observer, because then the accused must devote time to explaining why it’s bullshit. After all, if those who don’t agree with you are nasty hypocrites who have evil intentions (perpetuating poverty or keeping people from protecting themselves), then you don’t need to engage them and can hate them to your heart’s content while banishing them from the public square or worse, because they deserve it.

It’s easy to spot an Appeal to Motive Fallacy when it’s made against a position you support. It’s much harder to spot the fallacy when it’s made against a position you disagree with, and even harder to spot if made against a position you hate with the heat of a thousand burning suns. You want to be able to ascribe a hateful motive to those who disagree with you.

The Appeal to Motive Fallacy doesn’t need to be made so formally; in fact most of the time it’s not. This set of tweets got posted on Facebook a while ago:

My less-than-temperate response was:

“Every Republican I know agrees with the principles of Be Decent, Kill Each Other Less, Save the Planet, and People Should Have Rights. Just like every Democrat I know believes in the principles of Free Speech, Free Press, Freedom of Religion, Right to Self Defense, Right to Due Process, etc. No Democrat I know looks at that list and goes, “F–k you, nah.”

Most Dems and most Repubs agree on all the basic principles of liberal democracy. They disagree only on the details, what those principles mean in practice. So Jill Filopovic’s tweet is what is known, in academic terms, as flaming bullshit. It’s not even a talking point because every self-satisfied Dem who looks at it goes “Yup, they’re monsters,” and every Repub who looks at it says ‘Cool beans, Goebbels. Great to know how you feel about us, and FYI I see Four. Fingers. Not five. Four.’

And as an independent who has close friends on both the left and right, I read it and say, ‘Do you need more lighter fluid? Because I could get you some.'”

Yes, I was somewhat aggravated.

And no, not because of the stupidity of the opinion; if stupidity per se upset me, I’d be at a perpetual boil. Or a hermit. Because people are stupid. All of us, sometimes especially the smartest, at least in matters touching on our biases.

But this particular type of stupidity hurts us, terribly. @libbybakalar is never going to have a constructive conversation with anybody who voted for Trump (half of all voters within a trivial margin) for any reason. Neither is @JillFilipovic going to constructively engage with “half the country.” And half the country hears this kind of crap slung at them and has zero motive to engage with them either. And the same of course holds true on the other side of the political divide; I don’t see this kind of stupid on my Facebook page coming from the right much, but only because most of my right-leaning Facebook friends tend to be more politically moderate. But I’m sure you can all provide examples of both Left Stupid and Right Stupid.

And in our public discourse, we reap the wages of fallacy.

MGH

(Note: again, arguments for or against the above-mentioned policies will be cordially removed. Links to more examples of the above fallacy, on the other hand, will be gleefully accepted.)

About George

I am a reasonably successful self-published author ("successful" means I can pay the bills and am highly rated in my Amazon category), former financial advisor (writing is more fun), and have something in common with Mitt Romney and Donny Osmond. Guess.
This entry was posted in The Radical Moderate, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Wages of Fallacy

1. Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard says:

Can’t remember the term C. S. Lewis used for this idea but basically it was the idea that “You only believe that because “unrelated reason””.

IE The speaker doesn’t challenge the Facts but said “because you’re a certain type of person you’ll believe something the speaker disagrees”.

IE You only believe that because you’re a Man or White or Woman and so forth.

2. Linda Byrd says:

Love this “appeal to motive fallacy”. It’s what I see all over FaceBook and I just skip it. Thankfully most of my friends are in the moderate camp of both Dems and Reps. Thanks for pointing this out so clearly.

3. Windscion says:

When people assume those across the aisle are stupid and evil, I kind of sigh because it is mostly laziness and ignorance. But when someone tries to discredit a professional opinion /because/ it is a professional opinion? That’s when I lose my shit

4. PeterM says:

Pretty words, but where do you fall on whether or not a President can and/or should be impeached after leaving office? And regardless of your answer to that, do you believe President Trump was egging on the violence that occurred in Washington DC last month?

This really isn’t the time for musings on the philosophical differences between the two parties. The elected officials of your side are currently proving that Trump was right when he said he could murder someone on 5th Avenue and would not be punished. How do you feel about that?

• George says:

I am an independent and a classical liberal (which is not represented well in either party right now, look it up). My “side” didn’t elect Trump. Nor is this little essay “musings on the philosophical differences between the two parties.” Rather, it’s a pass at addressing a poisonous line of “reasoning” engaged in by members of both major parties.

If you have observations to make that are relevant to the Appeal to Motive Fallacy, perhaps some good examples of it in action in regards to the Capitol Riot and the impeachment trial, by all means contribute!

5. I will say that it’s most cases right that such an argument is not helping in a debate and indeed falacity.

But in some debates it can happen that it’s not a 2 group argument but the groups are internally split or forced together by the two party system.

And since I don’t want options to fly high I will try to give an excample from outside the US.

In Germany after WWII a new constitution was drawn by a multi party effort with some Ex nazis still involved and overall the constitution is well liked and modern,

The death penalty was abolished something that 90% of todays germans are in favor of.
    but back then, it was failry narrow. Social democrats that were in favor of it for all the modern reasons, ( it’s hard to rectify a wrong penalty..etc.)

and the former ultra right wing Nazi’s were in favor not out of moral conviction after all they killed millions, But out of fear for their own hide or the hide of their close associates.

and of course the Nazi’s used the same arguments as the social democrats, without conviction with it being a pure straw man argument. What I think I see not that rarly in the US dabates is such a form of straw man argument, were people have or are forced to work together with people that are morally reprehensible and don’t use the argument they really feel and their ultimate motive, but the straw man argument that has a chance of public approval. .
    And then calling people out for using or falling for the Appeal to Motive Fallacy, when the appeal is actually right.

• George says:

That’s an interesting piece of political history! And of course we all know everyone always tries to put their best face forward; that includes expressing motives that they think or hope will be publicly acceptable. Since we’re not telepaths we can never be sure of what other’s motives truly are; the Appeal to Motive Fallacy comes into play when we assign others bad motives as a way to attack their credibility and avoid engaging with their logical arguments. Often we may be utterly convinced that a person has truly bad motives, but we must still engage their arguments for the sake of persuading the unpersuaded.

I don’t think your example illustrates the Straw Man Fallacy, however. A Straw Man Fallacy occurs when someone takes another person’s argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the argument the first person is making. It’s an attack on the argument, not on the motive for the argument.